Skip to main content

Writing Withdrawal

I have writing withdrawal and I feel it in my BONES! Lately, I haven't been writing much. Something about having two babies under 18 months old seems to keep me fairly occupied, with not so  much free time for personal projects.

Buuuut….I need to do it.

I've been working on my book, for what seems like a million years. It's "in progress" (like me!) but this week, I finally allowed myself to lower my expectations about when it will be published. For some reason, I have been feeling like I just NEED to publish by the end of this year. As if I need to validate what I've been up to professionally in the last couple of years. Why??

I need to really let go of the self-imposed deadlines and pressure. Writing a book is important, but right now, my mom work is more important. My babies are young and need my full attention, and I want to give it to them 100%.

I just feel like I'm forcing too hard if I push to publish for a specific date, when I really want the writing to be holistic and natural.
I might just do more blogging, in the meantime, to get my fix!

I was re-reading some old posts and feeling nostalgic.
Writing really is therapeutic for me.


So, here's a little listicle of what's been going on, to keep my many readers (LOL) up-to-date:


-Summer was fun, but intense. Possibly overdid it with the visits, travelling and constant moving.
I was operating at full steam since Jake was born, with very little downtime.

-End of August I had a mini crash! Not a car crash, but a personal crash. Due to the overworking/over-travelling/over-hosting/over-doing everything, I just hit a wall. I had a panic attack the day of my grandmother-in-law's funeral, which sparked a couple of weeks of not feeling great. 
It had been so long that I had felt the symptoms of anxiety (usually hits me as vertigo/spinning feeling/dizzy/accelerated heartrate etc.;) that I actually blamed it on ill-fitting contact lenses at first (so cute!).
So after that initially mild reaction/explanation, I went into a totally unexpected frenzy of worry/health anxiety. 
I thought something was seriously wrong with my physical health.
I was, for the first time in a long time, really afraid.
I cried a lot and needed to rely on my husband a lot to help me (emotionally and psychologically, more than anything).

I went for blood tests and saw two optometrists. 
I was fine. I am fine.
Super healthy. 
Bloodwork fine.
Heartrate actually at optimal level.
(Contact lenses were the wrong base curve, but this has been corrected, and obvi, not the reason I went into a panic haha).
Basically my body and mind were just EXHAUSTED and the anxiety was my body's way of signalling a time-out.

Hubby was SO extremely supportive and helpful while I got myself back to feeling well. 
When I'm really, truly scared, he just knows exactly what to do.

Every day he took the kids out so I could do yoga and meditation to get back to a more balanced state.
He bought me medicinal marijuana (LOL) and lots of snacks.
He listened to me, really listened, for as long as I needed to talk.
He reassured me.
He held me when I needed extra comfort.
He made me laugh.
He cancelled his commitments to take care of me.
I love him.


So I did an overhaul on my commitments, decided that I needed more nature/quiet time/alone time/exercise/water etc.; and then got on that.

6 weeks later, I feel remarkably better.

I still have some mild anxiety symptoms at times, but adapting my schedule and busyness really helped!
I also need to practice being gentle with myself.
I have always been a "I-CAN-DO-IT-WITHOUT-HELP-THANKS" type. I just like getting things done, by myself, and for myself.
There is a level of pride in this, but sometimes, it's detrimental.
Asking for a little assistance is OK.
I have a wonderful mother and father-in-law who love seeing their grandbabies and taking them to the park, so I am taking more advantage of that these days!
And while the babies are out, I usually go for a swim or do something else nice for myself.

Just getting that work/life/social life balance down!

My babies are also getting "older"(LOL as the "oldest is only 18 months old) but I feel like we are getting to a place where things will slow down a little, now.
Theo is much more independent, and Jake is a super fast learner, since he is looking up to his big bro and trying to mimic his ways.


So that's basically where we're at!

Today is Jake's 6 months, and I am 6 months postpartum and down 45 pounds! I'm sure it would be more if I didn't eat so much damn chocolate, but I am not giving that shit up.



Things I'm obsessed with these days:

-Composting/recycling
-Walking in different parts of our neighbourhood/exploring the streets I didn't know existed
-Chocolate
-Cleaning and organizing (this is not new)
-My babies and hubby 
-Trying to find out if my neighbour stole my Nike workout pants, or if I just misplaced them
-Being OK with the world, as it is. Not stressing at all over things. Feeling like all my energies towards people are either positive or neutral. 
-Sunflowers
-Everyone else's pregnancies! I have a pregnant friend, sister, step-sister, other friend....it's super exciting to put my full attention into other people's baby-growing chronicles for a change! And so excited to meet more babies. <3
-Still excited about being sober, but I'm so used to not drinking that it's not as much of a "thing" anymore. Day 428. I just don't drink!


Will write more soon
<3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your Sparkle Back!!!

  Oh hi! My poor little blog baby, always at the very bottom of the priority ladder. I remember when I first started S&S, I used to write these long journal-esque posts from my desk at Michael Kors (ha! F U corporate world) and it was such a nice little escape from my day. I also used to print up motivational quotes and make these beautiful collages in my notebooks. Still have a few! The good old days. So COVID has returned to Europe with a savage vengeance, and I have no idea what will become of life in the next few weeks. The Swiss government maintained a very relaxed attitude after our first lockdown eased up at the end of April, and they seem determined to avoid a second lockdown at all costs. Our cases are soaring, and things are looking pretty, pretty, pretty not good. But, let's see where this goes. Trying to take it ODAAT. There are a few points I'd like to review quickly before I get back to my 'day job', so here we go: 1. My bestie, Sally Beaton, just publ

I Was A Teenage Anarchist (And Now I'm Just Scared Of Everything...)

Today I wanna talk about the F WORD. FEAR, motherfuckers. Since I was 19, I have struggled with panic disorder and generalized anxiety. Last night, when I was falling asleep, I had a bit of an epiphany while I was doing my reframing exercises. For the past several weeks, I have been doing these nightly exercises, which aim to heal the relationship we have with past traumas. I learnt about this super helpful tool via Dennis Simsek, aka, THE ANXIETY GUY, aka, my current obsession and spirit animal guide! He's freaking amazing. Watch his video on how to reframe, below:  So as I was falling asleep, and making some contact with past versions of myself, I became cognizant of the fact that I used to be a fearless, angsty teenager. ME! Fearless?! It seems like such a foreign concept, but alas, I used to be scared of nada.   I was the girl who would never say no to a dare, who lived for thrills, and who didn't even consider fear when making decisions.  Of course, s

A Typical (hard) Day In The Life

  One thing that I know for sure is this: not all days are created equally. As a most-of-the-time SAHM, I've become familiar with the great days, and the super challenging ones. Each night I go to bed  optimistic that I'm gonna land on a great day the following morning, but with two toddlers going through developmental changes at the same time, the going gets rough! I'm hiding out in the bath as I type this. It's 21:36. Jake fell asleep about 30 minutes ago after a 2 hour long bedtime battle. That kinda day. If you ever wanted to know what it's like to have two toddlers, born 11 months and 22 days apart, here ya go! 6AM. Woke up to Theo poking me and screaming 'Stella! SKY!' (The Paw Patrol girl character, Stella in French, Sky in English, my toddler is fancy and bilingual).  'Sky is in your rubber boot, Honey', I groan as I nudge hubby to get up and let me 'sleep in'. Today I can technically stay in bed until 7, but I don't end up fallin