Skip to main content

2 Years Sober!


Whoa.

I haven't had a drink in 2 years. TWO YEARS!

In retrospect, the years I spent as an active drinker seem way further in the past than that, possibly because I only drank during 2 months out of the past 3 years.

But still! I respect official dates!

The girl who used to struggle to string together 3 days without a cider now sits comfortably on her couch without having had any in 730 days. 

My thoughts about drinking/alcohol dependence/mom wine culture etc; have ebbed and flowed, like a river, over the past 2 years. 

Here's how it played out:

LEADING UP TO 1 YEAR SOBER:

*Needed to keep myself in active education. Reading, networking, blogging. All things about drinking and giving up. I needed to understand why alcohol became my go-to. I needed to sort out my feelings about how much of my life I had numbed out (almost all of it?). I had to get to the root of the habit.

*Focused a lot on milestones. 3 months, 6 months, 9 months sober etc;

*Still felt a lot of shame and embarrassment talking about my drinking past. Confusion about labels/the various degrees of substance use disorder.

FROM 1 YEAR TO 2 YEARS SOBER:

*Barely blogged about sobriety.

*Didn't read too many more books on the subject 

*Did a lot of inner work. Focused on the things that I drank to escape from (false core beliefs, anxiety, shyness, fear etc;) ***This is lifelong work, btw, haha***

*Wrote a book that addressed a lot of negative past feelings and experiences. Removed shame from the equation, and allowed myself to be vulnerable and accept my journey and evolution.
(THINGS THAT SHINE: POEMS, ARIANE SIGNER. GET A COPY ON AMAZON, OR BY VISITING MY WEBSITE www.arianesigner.com)

*Didn't really tell people so much about my story. Just didn't drink, and felt super comfortable with that choice

*Started drinking non-alcoholic beers and cocktails more frequently (when others are having drinks).

I won't go into the reasons or methods I used to sober up, here. If you go back to past entries, you'll get the whole picture, anyway.

This post is mainly to give encouragement and hope to anyone that is struggling with alcohol.

 If it's making you feel bad, low energy, depressed, anxious, ashamed, tired, sluggish, physically sick.

If it's creating more problems that solutions. 

If you don't really know how to manage it, and feel like most days, it's managing you.

If you feel scared that you can't get it under control.

If you wish for things to be different.

******************************

There are ways to combat this.

There are so many people that want to help.

There are so many books that will make you feel less alone.

There are ways to get your power back.

There are solutions.

*****************************

I barely recognize the girl I used to be, in photos. Photos where I was wasted. Where I was drinking. Empty.
But, I honour her, still.
She was brave. 
She challenged her unhealthy relationship with alcohol, even though it was terrifying to uncover what lay under all the booze.

Nowadays, I call the shots.
Life still terrifies me on the daily, and I'm a long way from super calm and blissed out, but ODAAT, right?!

I don't let my fears limit me anymore.
I keep on.
I feel the fear, and do it anyway.
I push through.
I'm showing up for my family.

OK, this is getting so cheesy, I have to stop and take a lunch break.
But seriously, yeah me!

I'm proud.

Oh! Random side note. Not at all related, but my parents got married 40 years ago today! Funny that my sobriety date is also what would have been their anniversary if they were still together! Still a neat numerological synchronicity!


BEFORE:

Drinking. Empty smiles.

Drinking. Faraway. Disconnected.

Drinking. This is super fun! Right?! Right?




AFTER:

Sober. Found my old Discman at my mom's house. Happy place.

Sober AF in Italy.

Sober on Easter. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your Sparkle Back!!!

  Oh hi! My poor little blog baby, always at the very bottom of the priority ladder. I remember when I first started S&S, I used to write these long journal-esque posts from my desk at Michael Kors (ha! F U corporate world) and it was such a nice little escape from my day. I also used to print up motivational quotes and make these beautiful collages in my notebooks. Still have a few! The good old days. So COVID has returned to Europe with a savage vengeance, and I have no idea what will become of life in the next few weeks. The Swiss government maintained a very relaxed attitude after our first lockdown eased up at the end of April, and they seem determined to avoid a second lockdown at all costs. Our cases are soaring, and things are looking pretty, pretty, pretty not good. But, let's see where this goes. Trying to take it ODAAT. There are a few points I'd like to review quickly before I get back to my 'day job', so here we go: 1. My bestie, Sally Beaton, just publ

I Was A Teenage Anarchist (And Now I'm Just Scared Of Everything...)

Today I wanna talk about the F WORD. FEAR, motherfuckers. Since I was 19, I have struggled with panic disorder and generalized anxiety. Last night, when I was falling asleep, I had a bit of an epiphany while I was doing my reframing exercises. For the past several weeks, I have been doing these nightly exercises, which aim to heal the relationship we have with past traumas. I learnt about this super helpful tool via Dennis Simsek, aka, THE ANXIETY GUY, aka, my current obsession and spirit animal guide! He's freaking amazing. Watch his video on how to reframe, below:  So as I was falling asleep, and making some contact with past versions of myself, I became cognizant of the fact that I used to be a fearless, angsty teenager. ME! Fearless?! It seems like such a foreign concept, but alas, I used to be scared of nada.   I was the girl who would never say no to a dare, who lived for thrills, and who didn't even consider fear when making decisions.  Of course, s

A Typical (hard) Day In The Life

  One thing that I know for sure is this: not all days are created equally. As a most-of-the-time SAHM, I've become familiar with the great days, and the super challenging ones. Each night I go to bed  optimistic that I'm gonna land on a great day the following morning, but with two toddlers going through developmental changes at the same time, the going gets rough! I'm hiding out in the bath as I type this. It's 21:36. Jake fell asleep about 30 minutes ago after a 2 hour long bedtime battle. That kinda day. If you ever wanted to know what it's like to have two toddlers, born 11 months and 22 days apart, here ya go! 6AM. Woke up to Theo poking me and screaming 'Stella! SKY!' (The Paw Patrol girl character, Stella in French, Sky in English, my toddler is fancy and bilingual).  'Sky is in your rubber boot, Honey', I groan as I nudge hubby to get up and let me 'sleep in'. Today I can technically stay in bed until 7, but I don't end up fallin